Friday, May 28, 2010

What a day!

Well, we're homeowners again. . . barely! Yesterday was quite a day! It started out all fine and dandy with Brad working from home. Then, at 10:30 we headed to the title company downtown to close on our new house. As soon as we got there, we got started on our paperwork which, of course, started with verifying our identities with our picture IDs. As Marylou was writing down my info, she stopped and said, "Did you know your license has been expired since February?!" Oh crap, are you kidding?!

We decided to go ahead and finish the paperwork and that we would go back to our apartment afterwords and bring my passport back to verify my ID. (All the while I'm praying that my passport isn't expired!!!) While we were signing the paperwork, Addy was happily playing on her blanket with her stacking cups. All of a sudden, I feel (and hear!) a loud thump on the floor! Addy had fallen face first onto her green stacking cup and landed on it with her cheek! There was a 2 second delay and then she let out a monster cry! She immediately got a bruise on her cheek! Needless to say, the rest of my signatures didn't look quite right because I had to hold her the rest of the time! Here's her war wound!


After that, we headed back to the apartment (30 minutes away) to get my passport. . . again, all the while praying it wasn't expired!). Thankfully, it is still valid for 2 years. We headed back to the title company (with Brad driving, of course!) and submitted my valid ID.

On our way back to the apartment, Addy was way overdue for her nap so we decided Brad would stay home with Addy while I headed to the DMV on my own with an expired license (provided we would come up with enough of the paperwork required to get a new license). We had to make several phone calls to get what we needed because you need 2 pieces of mail (statements, bills, or contracts) that state your Utah address. Well, since we had just closed on our house, we didn't have that! We were able to get our insurance company to provide evidence that we had a homeowners policy on the new house, and we had our closing documents on our new house so I decided to brave the DMV at 1:30pm. Who does that?!

Well, after waiting for over an hour and a half, I was called to the counter to show my proof of residency, expired license, passport, and social security card. She informed me that I'd have to take a written exam (crap!) and that she needed my marriage license also! What?! That was not on the document list as something I needed! I almost cried right there. The lady must have felt bad for me (I had already told her the story of our day so far!) and so she told me to go home, get my marriage license and make sure to be back within the hour (when DMV closed!) and she would let me hop to the front of her line.

Luckily, while I was on my way to the apartment, I got ahold of Brad and he was able to wake Addy up, chuck her in the carseat (thankfully I left that for him!), grab the marriage license and head to the DMV. He made it in time for me to submit my marriage license, take my test (and pass!) and get my new driver's license. Whew! I braved the traffic of all the suburbanites heading home after work only to find out that while I was gone, Addy had rolled herself right off the middle of the bed onto the floor when Brad ducked into the other room to get something! Luckily she didn't get hurt (that would have looked great to head to the ER. . . 'No we don't beat our kid even though she has a broken arm and a bruise on her face!') She's officially changed our definition of a 'safe' place to leave her. Rolling is a form of transportation for her now.

In fact, here's a video of her going after those darn stacking cups again. This topple forward is what she usually does now. I still can't believe she landed on her face doing this yesterday!

So, when all is said and done, we own a home and I have a legal drivers license. :) What a day!

More to come on our house soon. We get the keys today and we are having some work done on the house starting Tuesday. That will take a few weeks and so it will be nearly the end of June before we move in. Grr. I'll post some before/after pictures of our house when the work is done.

Enjoy your long weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a day. A trip to the DMV is bad enough... but couple that with signing closing papers and taking care of an infant.. YIKES! Hopefully you celebrated the end of the day with a nice big bowl of ice cream :) Glad to hear Addy is ok... It kind of makes you think -- maybe we should make our kiddos wear helmets (and body armor) all the time. We miss you. Let's talk dates when we can get our families together.

    ReplyDelete