Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Coming home with Adalyn



So, its been quite a week to say the least. Kim went into labor Saturday night around 9:30 pm. We were watching a movie and she said the contractions were starting to hurt. I said we should start timing them which was a bit of a joke since I'd been saying that for a couple of weeks and Kim would tell me that the contractions weren't the right kind. She didn't say that this time. We started timing them and they were 3-5 minutes apart lasting about 45 seconds. She hadn't really had any up to this point. Well we went into freak-out mode (all of our "you can have the baby-at-home training went out the window), called the doctor who told us to come to the hospital. We got there at 11:30 and Kim couldn't walk because the contractions were hurting too bad and she was getting the shakes. I have to say Kim did an amazing job. Several times during the night I thought, "No way I could do this" along with a few, "Thank you, God I don't have to do this". At about 5:00 am, she was exhausted and I was as well. With the contractions getting harder and Kim unable to really relax due to the shaking we were getting nervous about how the delivery would go. Luckily, we had a great nurse named Katie who kind of took over and helped coach Kim with her breathing and positions so that she could deliver naturally. When the pushing started everything went really fast. I didn't really want to watch the actual birth cause I thought I'd pass out but there I was right in the middle of it. I saw the whole thing and even cut the cord. I also took pictures of the placenta. which is the strangest looking thing. We spent a couple of days in the hospital while Kim healed and we learned how to swaddle (still working on that, spatial relations was never my thing). Kim and Adalyn are bonding through breast-feeding and she's bonding with me cause I'm the diaper man. She's definitely more excited with Kim at this point but someday she'll want to know how to spit a loogie or skip a rock my time will have come.

1 comment:

  1. I love the "Brad" perspective on the whole thing. Congratulations mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete